It is romantic in its endlessness. It winds through small towns amid lush landscapes; there are endless delights in different accommodations, restaurants, and places to visit.
A myriad unexpected highlights on a romantic road trip. Offers pure excitement everywhere you go, an exciting and delicious journey that will keep conversations flowing and undoubtedly get your romance going.
Pack the trunk with snacks, let your hair down and put your hands up in the air. These are our top five road trip across the U.S. and beyond.
1. State Route 1. Road Trip California, USA
- Start: San Diego, California
- End: San Francisco, California
- Ideal Time: 5-10 Days
In what other place can you enjoy surfing culture at the beach, craft breweries, the award-winning wine country that stretches across vast open spaces, rolling fog that flows through the redwood forests, and castles on the mountaintops in the middle of two cities that sprawl? State Route 1 in California State Route 1 combines all of this and more in an unbeatable package that quickly is one of the most well-known roads.
The often cliff-hugging highway near the western edge of the continent encloses the renowned Pacific Coast Highway (PCH) in a breathtaking stretch along its length between San Diego and San Francisco; however, it also traverses tranquil neighborhoods, bustling cities, and Hollywood tourist attractions, in addition to the endless nature-filled scenery.
Starting with San Diego will allow you to travel north, keeping the sun at bay and the cliff just a few lane’s distances away (which is an excellent benefit for a couple of hairpins turns with white knuckles). The intensity of the visuals ramps up as you drive north. In addition, San Francisco – a perfect honeymoon destination by itself is a great destination to end your road journey.
Tips for a Trip:
- Go on the convertible. A top-down ride along the PCH might sound like a cliché, but it is essential.
- Spend some time on the surreal 90-mile coastline that is Big Sur, where dense forest morphs into a dramatic coastline.
- Don’t miss McWay Falls inside Julie Pfeiffer Burns State Park.
- Explore the woods for a night of camping or give glamping a try in a more extravagant accommodation such as Ventana Big Sur.
The Garden Route Road Trip: South Africa
- Starting: Cape Town, South Africa
- End: Port Elizabeth, South Africa
- The ideal duration is 5 to 10 days.
This sandy stretch along South Africa’s southern Cape is frequently referred to as the country’s prettiest part. With mixed forests, beaches, lagoons, lakes, and mountains, The beautiful Garden Route is a visual feast and an exciting adventure to explore. The short 8-hour time frame can quickly spread over several days due to an endless array of picturesque beaches, forest hikes, climbing lighthouses, adventure sports, and deep-sea cave explorations.
Relax over long meals in picturesque seaside towns like Mossel Bay, Knysna, and Plettenberg Bay. Make sure to keep an eye out as you return to the highway. The pleasant Indian Ocean waters are known to draw a lot of whales and dolphins.
- Go in South Africa’s summer’s last season (February to March) to enjoy warmer weather while avoiding the vast crowds of Christmas that visit the Garden Route on holiday.
- Visit Plettenberg Bay Game Reserve to enjoy an excursion on safari, where often you will see The Big 5 (lion, leopard rhinoceros, elephant, as well as Cape buffalo) are possible.
- If you want to go to sea, do so in Gansbaai to see sea creatures like the Big 5 (whales, sharks, seals, dolphins, and penguins) in their natural environment.
- Suppose something else is needed to make your adrenaline pump. In that case, you can choose from a variety of other options, such as skydiving, canyoning, paragliding, as well as shark cage diving, that should be able to satisfy your needs.
The Hana Highway: Maui, Hawaii
- Starting: Paia, Hawaii
- Ended: Haleakala National Park, Hawaii
- Ideal Time: 1-2 Days
The lush beauty of Hawaii and the laidback island life have put Hawaii at the top of many lists of honeymoon destinations. However, while resorts with beachfront views as well as water sports and hiking in the backcountry attract the most focus, this trip to the north shore of Maui is one of the most enjoyable adventures that can be had on the islands of Hawaii.
Digging through the cliffs of the high jungle and along the immense Pacific Ocean, the Hana Highway is just as thrilling as the places it takes you to. Food stands on the side of the road, and tropical plants, bamboo forests, and the deep blue ocean line the road that leads to the sacred waters of waterfalls, hidden swimming holes, and beautiful state parks.
Its length of just 50 miles might appear like an ocean breeze to conquer, but the 50 single-lane bridges and 600+ hairpin twists are sure to slow your pace. Fortunately, frequent stops to rest and relax offer tempting fruit trees, unpaved trails, and new views on your Hawaiian scene.
Tips for a Trip:
- Try to get on the road before dawn (sunrise is ideal, but before 09:00 is essential) to stay clear of rubberneckers on the road and keep an air of solitude throughout the journey.
- Be aware that the journey is about the destination.
- Remember to consider the trip to Hana and to get the most out of each journey.
It would help if you stopped to buy banana bread. A freshly baked loaf of bread from Aunt Sandy’s Keanae Landing Fruit Stand close to the midway point will enthuse you throughout the day. It would help if you arrived at Hana at sunset, stayed the night there, and moved forward the next day to Haleakala National Park.
Ring Road: Iceland
- Start/End: Reykjavik, Iceland
- Ideal Time: 1-2 Weeks
With well-paved roads, various accommodation options, and plenty of breathtakingly beautiful sites on the way, Iceland’s Ring Road – which wraps across the entire island nation- was designed to be driving. Geysers and glaciers, lakes, volcanic eruptions, and geothermal baths are only a few natural sights that are sure to distract your eyes off the highway (be willing to stop to capture the picturesque landscape).
Beautiful restaurants and wonderfully cozy cabins are waiting in the colorful fishing villages scattered across the road; of course, the world-renowned Blue Lagoon is a perfect spot to soak in the honeymoon bliss after you’ve completed the circle.
Tips for Trips:
- Rent a car ahead of time.
- Opt for a built-in GPS.
- Think about the possibility of a mobile hotspot with 4G to keep connected on the trip.
Iceland is a destination that is open all year. However, those who go there between October and April can expect the most memorable experience as it will be Northern Lights season up in the sky.
Write down places to stop in advance in case gourmet meals are the top priority or prepare to eat a good portion of the meals served at gas stations which may include everything from ready-made hot dogs (the surprisingly good food that is not officially recognized as Icelandic national cuisine) and table serviced hamburgers as well as pasta. Amid stunning natural scenery, the gas station culture can’t be overlooked on your Icelandic travels.
The Alaska Highway: USA, Canada
- Beginning: Dawson Creek, British Columbia
- End: Delta Junction, Alaska
- Ideal Time Two weeks or more
All wonder, no frills. A renowned road to the north known as the Alaska Highway (or the Alcan about Alaska-Canada) is the best route to get to Alaska, a state called the world’s last frontier. The two-lane highway of 1500 miles was constructed in a short time during WWII, and the infrastructure and road conditions could leave little to be desired.
For those who want to swap traditional road trip offerings for the wild nature in British Columbia and the Yukon, filled with bears, bison, eagles and glaciers, fjords, moose, and ever-increasingly dramatic mountains, The Alaska Highway is a true wonder. The charming towns, the interesting pit stops, and the incredibly welcoming locals boost the appeal. However, this experience is a natural spectacle of the show.
Tips for the Trip:
- Purchase an annually updated Milepost, a must-have Alaskan trip planner with mile-by-mile maps of the highways and attractions, restaurants, lodges, lodges, and more throughout the route.
- When it is clear that the Alaska Highway is complete, continue to the North Pole and Fairbanks, both less than 100 miles from the official finish point.
- The beautiful, wild Alaskan state of Alaska is stunning to see, and car travel is the best method to go there.
Take advantage of your visit by taking a trip to the enormous Denali National Park, a bit further to the south. Please take a look at our guide to Alaska to get some more inspiration. Make sure to go during summer, when daylight is extended to 19 hours per day.